Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Week One

I am so far behind on this blog, but I am desperately going to try to catch up. And I'm going to start with the first week of Rigdon's life...

All snug in his carseat, ready to go home from the hospital. I was so sad to see how big he was when we put him in his carseat for the first time. I'm grateful that his size makes him a bit sturdier (he may need the extra help with 3 older siblings). But I was really hoping to keep our last baby little for a while. And he didn't even start out little. But he is oh so sweet.
I've been doing all of his night feedings in the living room so that I don't wake up the rest of the family. So all of our necessities have been right smack in the middle of the living room in our "baby station." But he hasn't actually slept in the pack-n-play. He spent the first couple of weeks sleeping in Mom and Dad's room and then moved into his crib in the "Big Boy Room." Talmage has been THRILLED to be finally sharing his room. He's been waiting for this for months - ever since we found out we were having a boy!
Daddy was so excited to bring home his Big Rig that he decorated! He also surprised me by installing a new shower head, the kind that you can take off the wall. So now even Avri showers and has been able to do it all by herself.
The big kids all LOVED having balloons around the house for a while. Until they all magically disappeared one night after they went to bed.
He was a big baby, but he still looks so tiny in his swing.
Being held by his big sister and giving her a big grin.
First bath at home! You can tell how much he enjoyed that! We hadn't even taken his hospital bracelet off yet. But he did not like being naked very much.
Finally happy, now that he's wrapped in a nice warm towel.
He is such a happy little baby. He started smiling only a few hours after he was born and he has only smiled more and more frequently the older he gets. In fact, Rigdon is the child that I can feel the strongest love coming from him. If I've been away for a couple of hours or if someone else has been holding him, I can pick him up and he grins up at me or gives a big sigh and cuddles into me. It's like he's actually telling me how much he loves me and how happy he is to have me back. I've even gotten a couple of almost giggles out of him. He is endlessly melting my heart.
Rigdon had his first haircut before he was even born. When they did my episiotomy they actually clipped a little of his hair. If you look toward the front of his hair you can see the missing chunk of hair. :) It was a nice clean cut, which made it stand out even more! But now, 6 weeks later you can't tell at all.
Rigdon has so much hair!! And it's even more unusual because it is so blond. The girls were both almost bald, and Talmage had a good amount of hair, but not like this! The first little while his hair looked almost silver. It was such a beautiful color. It is still a gorgeous blond color, and getting even lighter and longer. I may have to trim it up if it keeps growing at this rate.

Rigdon had a little bit of jaundice the first week or so. Not enough to need lights, but enough that they said to put him in a sunny window and we had to have him tested a couple of times before we could be cleared to travel across the country. I thought for sure he would hate it! He cried every time I changed his diaper because he didn't like being undressed. But I guess he's like his Daddy and loves to bask in the warm sunlight. He just laid there for like 3 days in a row just loving it!

Trying out the new shades while sunbathing.
Rigdon always has his hands right up by his face. We have to swaddle them right down against his sides when he's sleeping so that he doesn't smack himself awake.
Rigdon, welcome to our family. We have been waiting so long for your arrival and are so glad you are here. We love you so very much!

No comments: